Friday, March 11, 2016

Beat a drum, Randy

Remember Indian Guides?

Was I running deer or brave deer?

I just texted my brother.  I just saw the story again.  What a brilliant flame shot up straight into the midst of the darkness.

Our father wore a headdress.  What?  We put on costumes whenever we were together, I earned my feathers, I was proud.  My father's name was Proud Deer.

I will write all day long, I will walk with him quietly through the forest carrying the other end of the canoe.  They did not go without me, anywhere.  Though they did miss me sometimes and I them.

But at the Indian Guides retreat we were all together, our tribe, the Pottawattamie, orange and green vests with patches sewn on by mom.  Please let's make a fire and circle round it so I can remember who I am, who I was.

The ordeal forces a young man to stay with it.  I don't care, go ahead pee your pants.  You will eat later if you get through this.  Nobody else likes these biting flies.  We all smell like rotting meat, take a number.  Shut your shit hole.  I know, I know... but one day you will be able to smell this sweet scent of pine sap.  You will pine for a rugged journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment