Thursday, November 4, 2021

Book 2: Zoe's Flow, 1.4

ALL SAINTS DAY



How do you lose an F ing cat?


I guess I had thrown him for a loop. It seemed perfectly obvious to me how this could happen to someone. I wasn't some kind of idiot, after all.


Still Anthony sat mystified on the couch while I finished getting dressed. I was ready to put my coat on and get flying out the door. We did just that and I told him of course nothing about Zoe's special presence and abilities. I still felt like SH but managed to get my boots on and while making down the stairs I caught him up on the basics.


She's a small brown cat, kind of like darker paws and face, but bright blue eyes. But the colors are all muted so she looks like a shadow usually anyway.


I'm glad I found you, we couldn't remember which apartment number at first but nonetheless it seemed little if any traffic up here for a few days and we were getting concerned. 

Helluva cough… he said. Let's grab you a bagel and some hot coffee, figure out a plan.

At first I thought you were my friend Laura… 

Oh really.  I see… A friend Laura?… 

The window has been closed. The door shut firmly behind them as they leave. The Poppy photo drops to the floor. 

No, no no it's not what you think, just a friend. She has a dog named Fred and we are both pretty close to our pets so when I started to come to, here in the last few hours, I reached out… To see…

You reached out… Ladies and gentlemen, alas, the man was only reaching out… Outreaching, that's all it was… Reaching for Laura…

Will you please knock it off – I'm serious here.

I just don't understand it. Part of me gets it. I feel terrible, the poor little creature has put up with a lot. I think I literally slept two days in a row. 

On the other hand – you think you get to know a cat, right? Day after day living together. Could I not just have some time for me to be sick, did someone constantly need to be heard. You have to understand man, the Burmese… The Burmese are like people, man! Believe me. It's like having a roommate.


I hear you man –


I mean what the hell! Are we gonna go chase now, all over the city? Is that what I'm supposed to do? She's probably doing just fine. She is highly intelligent, beyond smart man. I'm telling you this is a brilliant… Amazingly, adaptive… I can't even begin to describe…


She's a cat.

What you mean? – – I mean that's it – she's a cat! Come on!

Don't say that like that – What Do You Mean –? Like that! 

She's a cat. 

See what I mean? People don't get it –

All right, I'm sorry – let's just trace some of the places around here where I've seen you two walking.


Outside temperatures had plummeted 20° over the last eight hours and there was snow in the air intermingled with dead leaves all awhirl through the parkway out in front of the building. Each bundled up.

I chose the Memphis Lambskin Leather Bomber moto jacket and tweed scarf, I wore Norwegian gloves.

I guzzled down the rest of my French roast – felt both of my ears pop open again crystal clear – and we headed out the door wincing into the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment